Sample First Nine Weeks Exam
- What is the approximate weight of 8 liters of sulfur dioxide (SO2)?
- Find the number of molecules in 5 ml. of oxygen gas (O2)?
- Determine the number of molecules in 3 grams of carbon dioxide (CO2)?
- How many grams of potassium chlorate (KClO3) is needed to produce 16 grams of
oxygen gas (O2) in the following equation? 2KClO3 2KCl + 3O2
- What is the percentage of oxygen in potassium chlorate?
- What is the electron configuration of selenium (Se)?
- Convert 77o Fahrenheit to degrees Celsius.
- ____ The number of orbitals in the L shell of an atom is a) 4 b) 1 c) 3 d) 2
- ____ The valence electrons of the atom are the electrons found in the a) nucleus b)
incomplete inner shell c) lower left corner of the periodic table d) incomplete outer
- ____ The valence of a single atom of chlorine is a) 0 b) 1 c) 17 d) 7
- ____ Subtracting the number of protons from the number of electrons gives the number of
a) neutrons b) electrons c) neither of these d) both of these
- ____ An atom or group of atoms with an unbalanced electrostatic charge is a) neutral b)
a radical c) an ion d) covalent
- ____ The total number of atoms of oxygen represented in the expression 2Al2(SO4)3
is a) 17 b) 12 c) 24 d) 19
- ____ Lead weighs 11.34 grams per milliliter. This statement represents leads a) m.w. b)
specific heat c) mass d) density
- ____ One kilogram is approximately equal to a) 2.2 pounds b) 454 grams c) 1000
milliliters d) 39.37 inches
- ____ All of the following are chemical changes except the a) souring of milk b) rusting
of iron c) solution of sugar and water d) tarnishing of silver
- ____ The formula for chromic acid is H2CrO4. The oxidation number
of the chromate ion (CrO4) is a) +2 b) -2 c)+4 d) -4
- ____ An element that is in group VII A of the periodic table usually has a valence
number of a) +1 b) -1 c) +7 d) -7
- ____ The formula weight of potassium sulfate (K2SO4) is a) 87 b)
158 c) 174 d) 270
- ____ In the expression 4Fe(OH)3, the subscript of iron (Fe) is a) 1 b) 2 c) 3
- ____ In the equation Zn + 2HCl ZnCl2
+ H2, the equation weight of hydrochloric acid is a) 98.8 grams b) 36.5 grams
c) 65.3 grams d) 73 grams
- ____ In the above equation the formula weight for hydrochloric acid is a) 98.8 grams b)
36.5 grams c) 65.3 grams d) 73 grams
- ____ The gram-equivalent weight of phosphoric acid (H3PO4) is a)
98 b) 49 c) 33 d) 3
- ____ Of the following, the only fundamental unit is a) force b) specific heat c) length
- ____ A weight of 45.4 grams is the same as a) 4540 milligrams b) 1 pound c) 0.0454
kilograms d) 32 ounces
- ____ The density of a solid is usually expressed in a) grams per millimeter b) weight
per liter c) cubic centimeter per kilogram d) grams per milliliter
- ____ Subtracting the atomic number from the atomic mass of a given atom gives the number
of a) protons b) protons plus neutrons c) electrons d) neutrons
- ____ Which of the following is equivalent to 10 millimeters? a) meter b) kilometer c)
centimeter d) decimeter
- ____ A milliliter is equivalent to a) a quart b) 1000 liters c) 100 liters d) 1/1000
- ____ Which of the following is a unit of heat energy? a) degree b) kilogram c) calorie
- ____ If 1000 calories of heat are produced when 25 grams of a liquid at 5oC
is raised to 85oC, the value of the specific heat of the liquid is a) 0.50 b)
1.00 c) 12.5 d) 40
- ____ On a trip to the moon, an astronaut's mass will a) increase b) decrease c) remain
the same d) first decrease, then increase
- ____ Two units of measurement are required to express a) time b) length c) velocity d)
- ____ The density of sulfuric acid is 1.84 g/ml. The volume of 736 grams of this acid is
a) 200 ml b) 400 ml c) 368 ml d) 736 ml
- ____ The volume of a piece of wood 6 cm X 4 cm X 1 cm is a) 24 cm b) 24 cm2
c) 24 cm3 d) 11 cm
- ____ What is the maximum number of electrons that may be found in the "d"
sub-orbital of any atom? a) 2 b) 6 c) 10 d) 14
- ____ What is the maximum number of electrons that may be found in the "M"
energy level of any atom? a) 2 b) 8 c) 18 d) 32
Return To The Third Millennium Online
Created by James R. Fromm (email@example.com)